Yellowish discoloration of the whites of the eyes, skin, and mucous membranes caused by deposition of bile salts in these tissues, occurring as a symptom of various diseases, such as hepatitis, that affect the processing of bile. Also called icterus .
A correct dignosis of underlying cause is vital for taking remedial measures for Jaundice.However certain food are known to alleviate the symptoms and help improve liver functioning. The following are some natural foods that are effective in Jaundice.
Home remedy for Jaudice
1) Tomato juice: One glass of tomato juice, mixed with a pinch of salt and pepper, taken on empty stomach in the morning is a very effective home cure for jaundice.
2) Radish leaves: Radish leaves contain compounds which induces appetite and regularises the bowel movements. Take some radish leaves and extract juice from it, with the help of a sieve. Drink about half a litre of the extracted juice daily, in about ten days the patient should get relief from the disease.
3) Papaya leaves: Add one tablespoon of honey to one teaspoon of papaya leaves paste. Eat this regularly for about one or two weeks. This is a very effective home cure for jaundice.
4) Sugarcane: The properties in sugarcane helps in proper digestion and proper liver functioning, thereby helping the patient to recover quickly from jaundice. Take a glass of sugarcane juice and add some lime juice to this. Drink this juice twice daily for better results. Ensure to clean sugarcane properly before extracting juice from it.
5) Basil leaves: Take about 10-15 basil leaves and make a paste of it. Add half a glass of freshly prepared radish juice to it. Drink this daily for about two to three weeks for better results.
6) Gooseberry: Gooseberry is rich in vitamin C and is a very useful in alleviating the symptoms of jaundice.
7) Barley: Boil a cup of barley water in about three litres of water and allow it to simmer for about three hours. Drink this water as frequently as possible throughout the day for treatment of jaundice.
8) Lemon: The anti inflammatory property in lemon helps in treating jaundice. Lemon also unblocks the bile ducts , thereby making it the most effective home remedy for jaundice. Squeeze the juice of 2 lemons and add it to a glass of water. Drink this minimum thrice a day , as it protects the liver cells from damage.
9) Pigeon peas leaves: Extract juice from pigeon pea leaves by crushing them and take at least 60ml of this juice daily for treating jaundice. The leguminous beans of these are also very nutritive and can be added in the diet.
10) Almonds: Take about 8 kernels of almonds, two dates and five cardamoms and soak them in water. Leave it overnight. In the morning, remove the skins and make a paste of it. Add some sugar and butter. Take this mixture several times a day.
11) Turmeric: Take a glass of warm water and add a pinch of turmeric to it. Mix well and drink this three or four times a day.
12) Snake gourd leaves: Take about 7-10 leaves and boil it in a cup of water and allow it to cool. Take 10-15 coriander seeds and boil it in half a litre of water. Mix it with the previously prepared decoction. Drink at least thrice a day for effective cure of jaundice.
13) Aloe Vera leaves: Take the pulp of the leaves of Indian aloe vera and mix it with black salt and ginger. Take this every morning for about ten days.
14) Beetroot and lemon: Take one cup of beetroot juice and mix with equal quantity of lemon juice and drink this regularly for a few days for effective results.
15) Chicory plant: All parts of chicory plant is useful in curing liver problems. The flowers, seeds and roots are the more common parts used. The juice of chicory help treating the enlargement of spleen, sluggishness of the liver and it also promotes healthy secretion of the bile .
16) Jaundice berry: Make a juice of the bark of jaundice berry and take a teaspoon of this several times a day , daily.
17) Chamomile: Tea made of chamomile is very effective cure for jaundice and should be at least once a day for several weeks and can be continued after cure of jaundice as a preventive measure.
18) Buttermilk: Take buttermilk and add roasted alum and add some black pepper and mix well and drink at least thrice a day for better results.
19) Banana: Crush ripe banana and add some honey and take this at least twice a day for better results.
20) Carrot juice: Make fresh carrot juice and drink several times a day for effective cure of jaundice and it can be included in the diet also.
21) Bitter luffa: Squeeze and pound bitter luffa , to extract its juice . place the juice in the palm of the hand and draw it through the nostrils. Yellow liquid will flow out the nostrils as a result of this .when the toxic matter is evacuated in considerable amount the patient will feel relieved. Seeds of bitter luffa can also be used for the same purpose.
22) Bael leaves: Take baels leaves and grind to make a powder. Mix it to a glass of water. Drink this once a day for effective cure of jaundice.
Jaundice that is caused by alcohol related liver disorder or by viral hepatitis can be prevented.
People suffering from alcoholism can prevent or reduce the risk of Jaundice by avoiding alochol. Jaundice caused by hepatitis A and B can be prevented by taking vaccination. (Hepatitis C has no vaccination as yet).
Other Jaundice underlying diseases like cirrhosis, thalassemia, hepatitis A, cholestasis are inherited or autoimmune disorders can not be prevented.
Foods To Avoid
1) Avoid spicy and fried foods.
2) Avoid junk and carbohydrate rich foods as liver needs to produce more bile to digest these foods and that may aggravate the condition.
3) Avoid alcohol, coffee and tea. Drink boiled water and avoid non-pasteurized milk.
4) Pulses and legumes should be avoided.