1. Capsules of dried goldenseal appear to kill many of the bacteria, such as E. coli, that cause diarrhea. The key compound in the herb is berberine. Take the capsules daily until the diarrhea improves.
2. Take frequent, small sips of water or a rehydration drink and small bites of salty crackers.
3. Avoid spicy foods, fruits, alcohol, and caffeine until 48 hours after all symptoms have disappeared.
4. Yogurt, especially the one with live bacterial cultures such as lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium is a great home remedy for diarrhea.
5. Another effective home cure for diarrhea is apple cider vinegar. It acts as an effective agent against bacteria that cause diarrhea.
6. When dealing with diarrhea, it is recommended to eat ripe bananas because of their high pectin content.
7. While a lot of people know that ginger is used for some throat and voice problems, most are not aware that ginger can also be used for some stomach problems. Aside from diarrhea, it can also help alleviate cramps and abdominal pain.
8. It has already been mentioned earlier, that bananas are also mixed in with other components to help relieve stomach problems including diarrhea. If you do not have any of the items mentioned above, eating a banana can also help because it has a high pectin content that can help stop diarrhea.
9. Acupuncture may not be the first thing you think of when looking for a remedy for diarrhea. However, Chinese scientists have seen positive results using acupuncture to treat acute diarrhea in children with cerebral palsy.